Re: Sentinel interfering with compile's mode line update

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Sentinel interfering with compile's mode line update
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:56:51 -0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I wrote a function to compile the MH-E manual and to start info when the
> > compilation finishes. As you all know, when (compile) runs, it adds
> > "Compiling" to all of the mode lines. When the compilation finishes,
> > this text is removed.
>
> And this text is removed by ... the process sentinel.

Thanks very much! That was enough of a clue for me to find and call
compilation-sentinel from my sentinel. I'm not sure I like this, but at
least it works.

> > However, with the set-process-sentinel line in the function below, the
> > "Compiling" text is never removed from the mode line.
>
> Because you replace the process sentinel with another.

Wouldn't it be better to add the sentinel to the existing sentinels?
Maybe it would be better to provide another function such as
add-process-sentinel that provides this capability. Then one doesn't
have to know the implementation details of the sentinelized process. If
I didn't have the sources (and your help), I would not have been able to
figure this out since nowhere in the documentation does it indicate that
compile uses a sentinel and that I needed to call compilation-sentinel
from my sentinel.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD