Re: Problem with revert-buffer and overlays

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Problem with revert-buffer and overlays
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:47:03 -0500

    > This seems plausible to me.  In general, one must expect those
    > overlays to be relocated to garbage, so preserving them cannot work
    > reliably.
    >
    > Would you like to do that?

    I looked at the code, and it is not obvious to me where this should be done.
    It could be done in one of: revert-buffer, after-find-file, normal-mode.

It should be done in revert-buffer, I think.
after-find-file is not the right place,
and normal-mode should NOT mess with overlays.

    BTW, I noticed that revert-buffer does not deactivate the mark.

That seems like a bug, too.

    In any case, I realized that I _can_ fix this in cua-mode by making the
    local variable holding the overlays permanent-local.  Perhaps that would
    be safer this close to the release.

Ok.