Re: wish: right alt/meta to switch keyboard layout while pressed

From: Tomas Zerolo
Subject: Re: wish: right alt/meta to switch keyboard layout while pressed
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 06:26:55 +0100

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 06:43:06PM +0200, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
> Aidan Kehoe wrote:
[...]
> > Recent betas of XEmacs do. Not to do it is expected behaviour, when you
> > think of it; it would be reasonable to bind M-Cyrillic_tse to something
> > different to M-x, if both were available on the keyboard.
>
> Yeah, and then I'd have to remember if I'm typing in Russian or in English
> and press different key combos in different layouts to say delete a word.
>
> I don't mind if they are configurable in different layouts even if I consider
> it an overkill.  But Emacs has some hundreds of actively used key
> combinations,
> do you suggest I rebind all of them separately for Russian layout too?  Should
> I do this in every single one application I use besides Emacs (and which
> probably doesn't even have the facility to rebind keys.)
>
> Non-self-inserting keys _absolutely_ must work independently of the layout,
> at least by default.

This is interesting. I think it's actually a problem deserving more
thought, not all-black or all-white. For an example, I expeckt C-y to
yank, although I'm using sometimes a German, sometimes an US keyboard
(where the Y and Z keys exchange places relatively to each other). OTOH,
I definitely see your point.

Hmmm.

Regards
-- tomas