Re: emacs crash on SMP notebook only

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs crash on SMP notebook only
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:31:52 -0500

    I've investigated further and came to the conclusion that this is
    related to using gcc-4.0.2.
    Using a gcc-3.4 compiled GNU Emacs works fine now.

That is disturbing.  It could be a GCC bug.

    I'm using GNU/Linux of the Debian sort on Intel 4 3.6GHz with
    hyperthreading enabled. Using NO hyperthreading (a kernel option) with
    gcc-4.0.2 compiled emacs shows no crashes.

I am not sure what hyperthreading is.  Does it alter the execution of
machine code?

Please confirm the meaning of these statements.  Are you saying that
the same Emacs executable (made with GCC 4) crashes with
hyperthreading but does not crash when run without hyperthreading?

Does the Emacs executable made with GCC 3.4 run correctly both
with and without hyperthreading?

I think that is what you are saying, but let's make sure there is no
misunderstanding.

    Can I help narrowing this thing down to a gcc or emacs issue?

The way to investigate further is to compile some of the files with
each compiler, and see if it crashes.  That way you can determine
which file has the problem.

Would you like to do that?