Problem with revert-buffer and overlays [was: Two minor problems with CU

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Problem with revert-buffer and overlays [was: Two minor problems with CUA rectangles]
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 00:37:05 +0100

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

> Suppose I have a TAB with a text-property that specifies a background
> color. [...]

I have installed a fix for this.  Thanks for noticing...

> M-x revert-buffer with an active rectangle in that buffer apparently
> deactivates the rectangle but overlays used for the rectangle are not
> removed.  C-l does not remove them either.

The problem for cua is that revert-buffer kills all local variables in
the buffer, so the list of overlays (which cua keeps in a local
variable) is no longer available to cua's post-command hook which
would otherwise have cleaned this up.

I don't really see how cua work around this, or force revert-buffer to
do that, as there are no hooks which a guaranteed to be called by
revert ...

This seems to be a generic problem with revert-buffer, as other modes
may also have overlays in the buffer which should be removed by
revert-buffer.  It seems like it should unconditionally delete all
overlays in that buffer.

Perhaps things which kills all local variables should also kill all
overlays in the buffer.