Re: List of major modes?

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: List of major modes?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:07:07 -0500

    This thread started a while ago when I was asking for a function that
    would give me a list of major mode. What I wanted to write has a
    "switch-to-major-mode" function which would offer - via a completions
    list - a good overview of what modes are available. I think that
    would benefit new users who would be able to explore Emacs that way.

It doesn't seem terribly important.  I think that anyone who wants to
explore this way will want to look at the modes' doc strings anyway,
and those will show which ones are major modes.  You can do this just
fine with C-h a mode$, so a new feature would provide little benefit.

    What might make sense is to add the above property  as a
    recommendation to the mode conventions, pointing out that this will
    be a requirement for Emacs 23 modes.

That would be a lot of work for a lot of people.  My decision is to do
nothing about this.