Re: Strange things with (shrink-window).

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Strange things with (shrink-window).
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:13:25 +1300

Richard M. Stallman writes:
 >       $ emacs -Q (with or without -nw)
 >
 >       Then C-x 3 C-x 2, then go to the window on the right.
 >
 >       Now, M-x global-set-key RET F10 RET shrink-window RET
 >
 >       Then press F10: nothings happen.
 >
 >       Press F10 and stay on the touch. The window on the upper left will
 >       start to slowly and randomly shrink.
 >
 > I agree that is a bug.  If the first invocation of F10 does nothing,
 > all further invocations should do nothing.  (It is supposed to
 > vertically shrink the window, and that can't be done, since it has no
 > vertical peers.)
 >
 > Can someone please debug this and reply to this message?  I am
 > overloaded and cannot do it myself.  But fixing bugs like this is
 > important for the release--there's no point starting a pretest to find
 > out additional bugs, if we aren't fixing the ones we know about.

There is a point: to progress the release.  This is a really obscure bug.
Whenever, or if ever, Emacs is released, it will have bugs.  Its a question of
balancing the inconvenience of those bugs against the benefit of the
availability to, and feedback from, a large number of users.  I realise that
philosophers talk about freedom whereas only supermarkets get excited about
availability, but its a shame.

Nick