Re: Longlines and insert

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Longlines and insert
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:22:14 -0700

Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
> I think (and as far as I understood, Chong Yidong does too) that this is
> a welcoming message for future problems.  You patch up a piece of code,
> while there are hundreds other lisp files, many of which insert newlines,
> some of which need to be hard.  We probably need something generic.  At
> the very least we need a convenience function to create a newline-string
> with the necessary properties already set, so we don't have to go over
> the lines above each time.

CY has identified a single Lisp file (sendmail.el) that needs to be
fixed, and we can guess that other message composition libraries do as
well.

Right now the most generic solution is the one he suggested:
(let ((use-hard-newlines t)) (newline))

But I agree with you that a convenience function for strings would be
better.  A good start would be to add an &optional OBJECT argument for
set-hard-newline-properties that gets passed to put-text-property.

--
Kevin Rodgers