RE: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:16:02 -0800

        So I would like to suggest that if opening /foo fails emacs will
        s|//|/|g and then try to open /tmp/foo, and if that fails will
        report that /foo and /tmp/foo do not exist.

    It won't work, because `/tmp/' is deleted in the minibuffer
    before Emacs ever tries to open a file.

    That is a very important feature, and must be enabled by default.
    However, it could make sense to turn off this feature when
    insert-default-directory is nil.  Do people think that is a good idea?

I don't.
But I can't give a good reason why ;-).

If people want to make it possible to interpret /tmp//foo as /tmp/foo, I'd
prefer that that be available only as a user option, as opposed to having it
happen now and again, depending on the context. IOW, I would like to control
that as a user, and not have the program or its designers decide for me.

I have no problem with the current (traditional) behavior.