RE: Slow frame creation when many faces defined

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Slow frame creation when many faces defined
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:07:10 -0800

    I've got a question about a noticeable lag in frame creation when
    many frames are defined. This can be reproduced with

    (let ((n 0))
    (while (< n 1000)
       (make-face (make-symbol "someface"))
       (setq n (1+ n))))

    then do C-x 5 2. This creates a lag of several seconds.

This is neither here nor there, but:

The frame creation appears _instantaneous_ with Emacs 20 on my (average)
machine with Windows XP. Using 10000 instead of 1000, it takes about 3
seconds to evaluate the above expression and about 3 seconds to open the new
frame.

I confirm that, even with "only" 1000, it takes a couple of seconds to open
the frame with Emacs 22 (July snapshot of CVS).

So, there is maybe an order of magnitude difference between Emacs 20 and
Emacs 22 in this regard. I don't know if that's significant in any way, but
there it is.