Re: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.
Date: 12 Nov 2005 12:07:11 -0800

>>>>> "Tomas" == Tomas Zerolo <address@hidden> writes:

Tomas> To interpret /tmp//foo is surprising to me. For example, my OS says
Tomas> /tmp//foo --> /tmp/foo, as I think most Unixen do (I think POSIX
Tomas> dictates that).

As a very long time Unix user (since 1977) and a long time Emacs user,
I admit I *was* surprised that /tmp//foo in the shell was not the same
as /tmp//foo in "open file".  But once I realized what it was doing, I
was fine with it.

The hard part is remembering how to get /foo/~/bar/ to really mean a
tilde in the middle of the path.  I think you put \ in front of it,
no?

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>