opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.

From: Han Boetes
Subject: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:46:58 +0059

Hi,

If you try to open /tmp//foo emacs will try to open /foo, of
course this is a great feature, but it forgets that /tmp//foo is a
valid notation of /tmp/foo.

So I would like to suggest that if opening /foo fails emacs will
s|//|/|g and then try to open /tmp/foo, and if that fails will
report that /foo and /tmp/foo do not exist.

I don't think it is important to evaluate all possibilities. So if
someone tries to open /tmp//foo//bar and tried to open /foo/bar
he's out of luck.

# Han