Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:16:04 +0000

On 11 Nov 2005, at 20:49, Luc Teirlinck wrote:

^L is by no means an obscure character, although it might be obscure
for people who never print plaintext buffers.

I just typed   ^L in Google and I couldn't find the meaning.
I tried to use the Help menu to find it in the Emacs manual, to no avail. (Maybe I didn't search correctly, but I did what a naive user would do.).
I also checked "Emacs Terminology" and couldn't find it.

Sorry to say, but yes, it is obscure.

Something like this is - nowadays - displayed in a graphical way.

We could use overlays to display the ^L as something more visually
appealing, while leaving ^L in the buffer.

Definitely not, for the reasons above. If there is a ^L in the buffer,
the user needs to know that.

Why does he need to know?
Doesn't a dashed horizontal line suggest that there's a page break much better than a ^L?

Divider lines exist because they visually divide something. That helps me analyze the structure of a document more quickly.
A ^L doesn't divide anything visually.