Re: MacOSX emacs crashes after 10.4.3 update

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: MacOSX emacs crashes after 10.4.3 update
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 20:14:30 +0000

On 4 Nov 2005, at 19:38, Ken Raeburn wrote:

I have an EmacsInstaller.dmg that I built on Sep 23, which installed an Emacs.app that worked just fine, up until earlier today when I updated my OS from 10.4.2 to 10.4.3. It was built with mac/make-package, I think with defaults except for telling it to build a self-contained app. Now it crashes at startup, and the CrashReporter log can't even give me a stack trace:

This is unfortunate, but seems to be a known problem. Similarly, binaries built on 10.4 generally don't run on 10.3.

The Mac port contains a lot of code to support ancient systems / system APIs like MacOS 8/9, apparently even without CarbonLib (never tried, though), but there is pretty much no binary compatibility between OS versions for Emacs.

Have you tried setting the environment variable MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 ?
E.g.

MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 ./make-package (...)

I heard that helps you build binaries that run on all 10.4 versions.