Re: thumbs directory

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: thumbs directory
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:13:21 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>>     I recall there was an idea to share Emacs thumbs directory with
>>     Gimp thumbs directory, i.e. instead of ~/.emacs-thumbs to save
>>     Emacs thumbnail images to ~/.thumbnails in the same format as Gimp
>>     saves.
>>
>> We will probably replace thumbs.el with tumme.el.
>
> Ok, then tumme.el should share the same thumbnail directory with
> thumbs.el and Gimp.

Was that decided upon or just discussed as an idea? I do remember that
the last time thumbnails was used, the discussion went very lively :),
some suggesting that the thumbnails follow the same convention as
specified by the Freedesktop project (is this how GIMP stores its
thumbnails?). I personally did not like using PNG as thumbnail format
because of the much larger size, but I can understand if not all agree
with me.

Speaking of thumbnails, tumme.el now has two options that determines
how thumbnails are stored; either "centrally", in ~/.tumme (this is
configurable and we can change the default value if needed) and
"per-directory", which was something that some people wanted.

When using the per-directory option, there are no problems in making
the thumbnails unique, when using the central option I had to add a
MD5 hash to the thumbnail file name.

There are some todos still in tumme.el and development is kind of slow
right now (I think is was two weeks since I added that thumbnail dir
option). They will be fixed eventually though.