Re: Defaults for set-variable

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Defaults for set-variable
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:17:45 +0900

> Which do you find more convenient for setting user options - setq or
> set-variable? That is, you can use `M-: (setq foo '...)' today for user
> options.  Do you, or do you use `M-x set-variable foo ...'?

I use setq.

`set-variable' doesn't offer much different really.  It's mainly
useful as a gentle introduction for those who might be confused by
lisp syntax and the presence of internal variables.

> In any case, there are of course ways to do without such a convenience. The
> question is whether or not it is a convenience worth adding to Emacs.

It seems to me it's a "convenience" that applies only in a vanishingly
small number of cases (you want to set a variable which _isn't_ tagged
as a user variable, and just happens to have its name under point in
the current buffer), and not worth bloating the code to support.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.