Re: Use .emacs.d in savehist.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Use .emacs.d in savehist.el
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:51:38 -0400

>> Any objection to the patch below?

> Ideally I was aiming to have both emacsen share their minibuffer
> histories, but I'm not sure if that's realistic.

Yes, that's the only objection I could imagine myself.  I'm not sure what to
think of it.  OT1H it makes sense to try and share the history, but OTOH
there's a pretty clear risk that it won't work right.
To be on the safe side, I think it's best to keep them separate (and
I think the fact that XEmacs now uses ~/.emacs/init.el in preference to
~/.emacs indicates that the XEmacs maintainers have followed a similar
reasoning).  For the few users who actively use both Emacs and XEmacs and
who care about sharing their histories, I'd say: customize the savehist-file
variable.

> I suppose the patch is OK, except you might want to use ~/.xemacs under
> XEmacs.

Thanks, I wasn't quite sure which dir to use for XEmacs and I figured you'd
know better ;-)

        Stefan