Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:30:47 +0200

Lars Hansen wrote:

Rodney Dawes wrote:
On the subject of branding through, I am not quite sure what the best
way to do that is. I like the Gnu-horns E on the notepad. I'm not sure
that a notepad is the best metaphor for Emacs though, as it does so much
more than just edit text. The branding should be strong though, and
preferrably be done without having the text "Emacs" in the icon itself.
If the icon should say anything, it should be "this is Emacs, a very
powerful IDE and text processing solution", I think.

I agree. I like the looks of the notepad, but IMHO it resembles the icon
of notepad.exe on MS Windows to much. notepad.exe is no more than a
notepad, but Emacs is much more. But which metaphor is better?
Maybe this: Emacs is sometimes referred to as

  "The Swiss Army Knife of Editors"

since it has a tool for every need. But I don't know if it would do as
an icon.

A very important feature of Emacs for me (currently using MS Windows) is the portability. Maybe a bag of some kind with the Gnu-horns? (I would like a backpack, but that's me and it is too difficult in small sizes of course.)

In a bag you can carry many tools and you can move -- to GNU/Linux. The Gnu-horns tells where you are going.