Re: Emacs 22.0.50: Problem with Longlines mode and left margin

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs 22.0.50: Problem with Longlines mode and left margin
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:54:43 +0900

2005/10/21, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>:
> .  However, type any character (or delete any character) anywhere in this
> paragraph, and it snaps back to the margin-violating version.
>
> Longlines's filling and M-q are incompatible here.  I think that it is
> Longlines's filling which is at fault.

Arguably, the longlines version more accurately represents the real text.

Remember, when a buffer with longlines active gets written to a file
or copied or whatever, the text from each displayed paragraph will be
"unfilled" and glommed onto one long line, so it's impossible to
represent a non-zero left margin anyplace except at the beginning of
the paragraph.

Because of this, maybe longlines should try to force normal filling
commands to not ever create a non-zero left-margin while it's
active....

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.