Re: [Chong Yidong] Re: Tool-bar buttons unresponsive with tooltips on

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: [Chong Yidong] Re: Tool-bar buttons unresponsive with tooltips on
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:12:08 -0400

>     It seems to be related to a setting in KDE's window manager, "Click
> Raise Active Window".
>
> Interesting (but I still don't understand where the problem is, or
> what triggers it).
>

> What happens to last_mouse_glyph when you click on the toolbar? In a
> GTK build (where the toolbar is a GTK widget) and in a non-GTK build
> (where the toolbar is part of the Emacs frame's client area).
>
> Do we still have a bug in the (virtual) glyph used for mouse tracking
> in one of these cases?

I think Emacs doesn't register the click at all.  When I do `C-h k',
and click on the toolbar button (after waiting for the tooltip to pop
up), nothing happens.  I think the window manager is eating the click
event.  Since Emacs tooltips are actual frames (X windows), my guess
is that the window manager is trying to "raise" the tooltip.

Why the recent changes would unearth this problem, I am still trying
to find out.