Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 09:11:19 +0300

> Leaving @...heading type titles unprocessed would avoid the bugs and
> would not constitute a radical departure from the current Emacs style:
> @...heading seems to be seldom used (the only example I know is
> `(info)Advanced')

There are other Texinfo commands that produce a line of underlining
charcaters within the body of the node: address@hidden', address@hidden',
address@hidden'.

> and titles in the body of a node feel very different from node
> titles anyway, so that displaying them differently makes sense.

They are already displayed differently with different faces:

`info-title-1' - for @chapter (`***' in Info output),
`info-title-2' - for @section (`==='),
`info-title-3' - for @subsection (`---'),
`info-title-4' - for @subsubsection (`...').

> [...] but leave the subtitle:
>
> `g' goes to a node by name
> --------------------------
>
> displayed exactly like that, without any processing.  Again, such
> subtitles are relatively rare.

Such subtitles are not rare.  Within the Emacs documentation in CVS
there are more than 200 such subtitles that would lose their
highlighting after your proposed less radical change.  In quite
a large base of Info files I can find about 2000 such subtitles.
I don't think that users who accustomed for many years in the released
Emacs versions to see such titles post-processed in the Emacs Info
reader will agree with this change.  OTOH, the artificial case you
described in another mail (the word BOX with asterisks around it) is
extremely rare in the large Info base I looked at.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/