character width anomalies

From: James Cloos
Subject: character width anomalies
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 17:05:31 -0400

[This is probably emacs-unicode-2 specific.  If there is a better list
to post this on, please let me know. -JimC]

Wanting to see what a given unicode char looked like, I tried to view
it in emacs (I am running emacs 23 at the moment.)  The font was
missing a glyph, so I got an empty box.  But is was a wide box where I
expected a narrow glyph.

I see that UnicodeData.txt is in cvs and the data in it is extracted
into several elisp structures durring the build.  Unicode also
provides EastAsianWidths.txt along with UnicodeData.txt (and
Unihan.txt for that matter).  It is the definitive location for
character width data (Narrow, Wide, Ambiguous, Halfwidth, Fullwidth
or Narrow-ascii).

The character in question is indeed N in EastAsianWidths.txt.

Since EAW's license is the same as UD's and has data not included in
UD, should EAW be added to the cvs tree and its data extracted along
with UD's?  Or does some version of that data alread exist somewhere
in the lisp tree?  I can provide a patch updating it if so.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <address@hidden>