Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:11:56 +0200

Christian Schlauer <address@hidden> writes:

> [placement of tooltips in relation to the mouse pointer]
>
>> I think the current offset is fine.
>
> I changed my mind: as Jason writes, most applications (including
> GNOME and Mozilla Firefox) put tooltips below the pointer, so Emacs
> should, too.

If I move the mouse cursor to some point, it is a reasonable guess
that I have already read the stuff above the mouse point, but not yet
below.  This _very_ much holds true for tooltips in menus.  Regardless
of what other applications do, I think that I'd object to mouse tips
occuring _below_ mouse point.  It would render menu tooltips quite
obnoxious.