Re: Update filename history after several actions

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Update filename history after several actions
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 01:02:26 -0400

I asked

    Would you like it if we changed find-file-noselect to put its argument
    into the history if it is not present?

You responded:

    There should be all functions in the file-name-history that were edited
    in emacs, i.e. there were intentionally loaded t be edited or viewed by
    the user. So adding all file names at the level you suggest is not the
    right way, cause find-file-noselect can't decide whether the file was
    loaded to be edited or e.g. to be processed automatically.

    I suggest to add the file-name-history inclusion of file names at a more
    "upper" level in the call stack, as a result of a user oriented task.

Doing this at a higher level would work, but it would be an ugly
approach, requiring changes in many places.

find-file-noselect has an argument NOWARN that probably ought to
be--but isn't actually--provided as t by Lisp programs that visit
files for their own reasons that users don't know about.  It occurs to
me that if we change these programs to pass t for this arg, which they
should anyway, then if find-file-noselect adds the file name to the
history if NOWARN is nil, it might give just the right results.

What do others think of this idea?