Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 20:35:53 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Christian Schlauer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

>> So I conclude that /everybody/ who commented on this agrees with me
>>
>> [1] "everybody" = three individuals (including me)
>
> I didn't see the original, but I strongly disagree that 10 seconds is
> too long for reading a potentially long message in a tooltip. As long
> as the user is not using the keyboard or mouse, what harm is there in
> continuing to display the tooltip?

I like tooltips, especially in major modes that I don't use that
often. But I will give two examples where I find them /really/
annoying, and that's why I suggested a change:

In the original message
<URL:http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/41032>, I already
wrote about `occur-mode': I like to highlight the match I'm currently
interested in by putting the mouse on that line in the *Occur* buffer
so that that line is highlighted in green. But then a part of that
line (and a part in the line above it) will be covered by "mouse-2: go
to this occurrence" for 10 seconds. Most tooltips are of that length,
it seems to me. I even think that tooltips that pop up when hovering
with the mouse in a buffer should not be much longer than that. Such
tooltips can then be read in 3 or 4 seconds. Covering text in the
buffer for 10 seconds for long tooltips is annoying (IMO) as tooltips
shouldn't be that long (IMO).

Second example: when diffing with `M-x ediff-buffers', there can be
`fine differences' (highlighted in light and dark blue) in a
`difference region'. Then I often `read' on the screen with the mouse
pointer in the difference region, but actually I can't do that because
/all the time/ there pops up a "Difference region 1 -- non-current" or
"Difference region 1 -- current", depending on the mouse pointer being
just in the (green or yellow) difference region or over a (blue) `fine
difference'. It's impossible to use the mouse-pointer as a reading-aid
to check the `fine differences' step-by-step. Maybe this is ediff's
fault and ediff should be changed to be less `aggressive'?

--
Christian Schlauer