Re: jit-lock refontifies too much

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: jit-lock refontifies too much
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 10:53:17 -0400

>     I somewhat fell between two stools here.  With respect to my first
>     proposal Stefan judged ".. yet-another-text-property is a waste of
>     precious CPU and memory resources."

> I do not necessarily agree with him; I think it would depend on how
> much good the feature does.

Agreed.  If it brings a significant benefit, adding yet-another-property is
worthwhile: it only makes things worse by a (presumably smallish) constant
factor.  In considered this cost high because the feature seems rather
minor: unless you set your jit-lock-context-time to a very small value
you'll rarely if ever notice the difference (except maybe in those few rare
cases where the new feature gets things wrong ;-( ).

        Stefan