Re: autogen.sh question

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: autogen.sh question
Date: 25 Sep 2005 17:36:45 -0400

Marcin Antczak <address@hidden> writes:

> Could someone explain to me why there is no 'usual' ./autogen.sh
> file in emacs cvs?

emacs is unusual because its early development preceded that of
the GNU auto* tools (and in some cases even influenced their
design, iirc).  at some point emacs began to use autoconf but not
automake, so if an autogen.sh were ever to be introduced its sole
command would be to run autoconf.  probably not worth the trouble.

> And why there is ./configure in cvs instead of just
> ./configure.in?

so that people checking out a source tree from cvs can use the
./configure script immediately, w/o having to install autoconf.

> I want to apply a patch to ./configure (debian-rpath workaround)
> and I wonder if should I apply this patch to ./configure or to
> ./configure.in and regenerate ./configure with autogen after
> applying patch to ./configure.in.

configure.in is the source, so the patch should be applied there.

the top-level ChangeLog gives a hint about the practice: modify
configure.in, regenerate configure, and check in both files.  when
i have done this in the past, i checked in configure.in first,
waited a few seconds (maybe half a minute), and then configure.
in the ChangeLog, however, i recorded both edits in one entry.

thi