Re: address@hidden: Crash when loading a particular gif image]

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Crash when loading a particular gif image]
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:01:21 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> This crashes in the current development Emacs too.
> It also makes qiv crash, so I think the gif file is invalid.
> But, as he says, an invalid input should not make Emacs crash.

Emacs doesn't crash for me using the instructions in the bug report, and
qiv doesn't crash either.  The gif file is indeed invalid, qiv reports
the following when opening the file:

| GIF-LIB error: Wrong record type detected.

But it manages to display the first of the 6 frames in the image.
ImageMagick handles the image just fine and shows all 6 frames.
Emacs doesn't display the image (it shows a blank rectangle), but
doesn't crash.

I think Emacs crashes on your system because your version of libungif is
older than mine, the bug has probably been fixed in the library already.
My version is libungif version 4.1.3, released in May 2004 (which
appears to be the latest version).

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | I used to think there is no
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | future left at all.