Re: Emacs, Chinese language environment, and Japanese fonts

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Emacs, Chinese language environment, and Japanese fonts
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:52:36 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, LI Daobing <address@hidden> writes:
> I am very glad to reproduce this bug to you:

> my env:
> locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> emacs-snapshot: emacs-snapshot-gtk in debian version 1:20050908-1

As your locale is en_US.UTF-8, Emacs doen't know to which
charset to decode that character from UTF-8.  The default is
to prefer JIS.  If you prefer Chinese, why don't you use, for
instance, zh_CN.UTF-8?

By the way, you wrote:

> I prefer it is bug, becase this bug still happen even when I use
> (set-language-environment "Chinese-GB").

You must change the lang. env. before you read a
UTF-8 file.  Have you tried it?

I agree that it's not good that saving and reading with the
same coding system doesn't give you the same character.
But, that is the limitation of the current Emacs, and can't
be solved easily.  If you really have to be in English
language environment but prefer Chinese, please try this in
your .emacs.

(set-language-environment "Chinese-GB")
(set-language-environment "English")

---