Re: Emacs, Chinese language environment, and Japanese fonts

From: LI Daobing
Subject: Re: Emacs, Chinese language environment, and Japanese fonts
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:54:42 +0800

On 9/15/05, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>, Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I received a bug report from a Chinese user complaining that Emacs 22
> > wants to use a Japanese font to display a character from the Chinese
> > alphabet, even if the language environment is set to something Chinese
> > (in this case, Chinese-GB).
>
> > My guess is that the character is identical in Chinese and Japanese
> > (kanji) alphabets and that Emacs just uses the "best fitting" font,
> > which isn't installed on this user's workstation.  Apparently,
> > (list-charset-chars 'chinese-gb2312) correctly shows the character, but
> > the font isn't selected when displaying a regular buffer.
>
> > Is that a bug or a configuration problem?  I'm not really knowledgeable
> > about this stuff, can someone enlighten me?
>
> > You can find more information here:

> I've just read that thread.  In any Chinese-XXX lang. env.,
> if that character is (0x4A4A of GB2312) encoded in UTF-8,
> Emacs correctly decodes it into chinese-gb charset.  So, my
> question is how he got that character in Emacs buffer.  One
> possibility is that he cut&pasted it from the other
> application and that application sent that character encoded
> in compound-text while designating JISX0212.  In that case,
> Emacs surely decodes it into japanese-jisx0212, but that is
> a correct behaviour.
>
> (setq x-select-request-type '(UTF8_STRING COMPOUND-TEXT))
>
> forces Emacs to ask the other application to send a
> selection data in utf-8 if possible.   So, this setting will
> work for him.

I am very glad to reproduce this bug to you:

my env:
locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
emacs-snapshot: emacs-snapshot-gtk in debian version 1:20050908-1

i use 'emacs-snapshot -q' to start emacs, open a new file, input "适",
save it, use 'C-u C-x =' to get the char info, this is the result:

  character: 适 (0270313, 94411, 0x170cb, U+9002)
    charset: [japanese-jisx0212] (JISX0212 Japanese supplement: ISO-IR-159.)
 code point: [97 75]
     syntax: w  which means: word
   category: C:Chinese (Han) characters of 2-byte character sets   j:Japanese
             |:While filling, we can break a line at this character.
buffer code: 0x94 0xE1 0xCB
  file code: 0xE9 0x80 0x82 (encoded by coding system mule-utf-8)
    display: by this font (glyph code)
     -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--16-150-75-75-C-160-JISX0212.1990-0 (0x614B)

if i use 'emacs-snapshot -q -no-site-file' to open emacs, and open the
file contain that char(it seems i can't input that char with a clean
emacs), I got the same result.

Thanks

--
LI Daobing