Emacs, Chinese language environment, and Japanese fonts

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Emacs, Chinese language environment, and Japanese fonts
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:59:36 +0200

I received a bug report from a Chinese user complaining that Emacs 22
wants to use a Japanese font to display a character from the Chinese
alphabet, even if the language environment is set to something Chinese
(in this case, Chinese-GB).

My guess is that the character is identical in Chinese and Japanese
(kanji) alphabets and that Emacs just uses the "best fitting" font,
which isn't installed on this user's workstation.  Apparently,
(list-charset-chars 'chinese-gb2312) correctly shows the character, but
the font isn't selected when displaying a regular buffer.

Is that a bug or a configuration problem?  I'm not really knowledgeable
about this stuff, can someone enlighten me?

You can find more information here:

Thanks,

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | I like the streets when