Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:36:24 -0400 (EDT)

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > 1) When is the best estimate of when 22.1 will come out?
>
> Not before 2006.

I hope it can be done faster than that!

Looking through FOR-RELEASE, the only major bug left to fix is the
compact_small_strings/string_free_list problem -- which may have been
finally pinned down today (see the thread on "potential bug in
display_mode_element").

Assuming that problem is really fixed, there are only five bugs left
in the list, of which three can be resolved quickly:

(1) Update Speedbar.

According to

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-05/msg00263.html

the paperwork for speedbar is OK, so we just need to copy in
speedbar.el, dframe.el, sb-image.el, and ezimage.el along with some
icons, from

  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/cedet/cedet/speedbar/

If its OK, I'll contact Eric Ludlam and go ahead and copy in the
files.

(2) Fix recognition of shell's `dirs' command.

I installed tcsh, turned on command echoing, and was unable to get the
`dirs' command confused.  Let's just close this, unless someone else
is seeing the problem.

(3) Emacs on Windows crashes on JPEG images from files in unusual
    MingW/MSVC configurations

The commentary says that the fix is straightforward but "it is on the
back burner waiting for a legal comment".  Since the legal comment
doesn't seem to be forthcoming, let's just add a note to etc/PROBLEMS
telling users not to mix MSVC builds of Emacs with a MinGW builds of
the jpeg library, and not delay the release for this.

(4) Bug in ebrowse
(5) TCP server processes do not work on Windows.

Can we start the release process once these five bugs are resolved, or
is there any more reason to delay?