Re: Paragraphs (and sentences) in Emacs cannot span pages.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Paragraphs (and sentences) in Emacs cannot span pages.
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 18:48:56 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, Stefan.

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>    This sentence goes over from one page
>>    ^L
>>    to the next.

>In my experience, ^L is generally used in Emacs for logical pages, not
>for physical pages, so a ^L in the middle of a paragraph doesn't make
>much sense.

In this case, having the ^L in the paragraph-s... variables doesn't add
anything.

>I guess if you see such a ^L it's inside something like an RFC, where the
>two pages are separated not just by ^L but also by footer&header so it'd be
>hard for Emacs to figure out what's a paragraph.

I suppose one would want an RFC mode there, where page-delimiter is set
up to match the footer+header.

>Could you give more info about the precise case(s) where you bumped into ^L
>in the middle of paragraphs?

I'm documenting what pages, paragraphs and sentences are, in the elisp
file searching.texi (page "Standard Regexps").

I haven't actually come across any difficulty that this paragraph break
at ^L causes, yet at the same time, don't really see what its purpose is.

I'm thinking about what I should say about this in searching.texi.

--
Alan.