Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:38:21 -0500 (CDT)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   But we already have such a menu item, it's called "Describe Key" and
   can be found right below "What's This?".

They do the same thing, that is exactly what is confusing.

   > What is this "this" that is referred to in "What's this?"?

   See the discussion in this thread (almost 3 years ago):

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-11/msg00370.html

You mean each time a user is confused by a menu item, they should just
search the emacs-devel archives for an explanation?

That thread was mainly concerned with other stuff, but I believe the
only real problem was that "Describe Key" did not make it clear that
it also applies to menu items.  "Describe Key or Menu Item" does make
this clear.

Sincerely,

Luc.