Simultaneous gdb session badness

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Simultaneous gdb session badness
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:20:34 +1200

Michael Welsh Duggan writes:
 > I wish I could say just when this problem cropped up, but...
 >
 > In the current CVS, I cannot run gdb though the gud on two seperate
 > programs simultanously.  For example, if I start a gud session for
 > program A, then one for program B, if I then type "b main" in program
 > A's gud buffer, the breakpoint gets set in program B.
 >
 > This definitely worked in 21.3, and I can remember doing it in earlier
 > versions of 22.0.  It is a frequent occurence for me to want to run
 > seperate gdb session in the same emacs, especially when they are
 > intercommunicating processes.

The default behaviour for gdb in Emacs has changed considerably since 21.3.
You could read the manual to understand these differences.  It says
(GDB Graphical Interface):

Manual>   You can also run GDB in text command mode, which creates a buffer
Manual> for input and output to GDB.  To do this, set `gud-gdb-command-name'
Manual> to `"gdb --fullname"' or edit the startup command in the minibuffer to
Manual> say that.  You need to do use text command mode to run multiple
Manual> debugging sessions within one Emacs session.

Text command mode refers to the mode used in 21.3.  The default mode for
22.1 is referred to as graphical mode and uses "gdb --annotate=3".

When your gdb sessions are independent, you can always uses separate Emacs
sessions, of course.

Nick