Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:46:50 +0200

Juri Linkov wrote:

It is useful to move point into the minibuffer prompt without
changing default settings.  But since this can be confusing for
beginners, maybe it should be more difficult to move point into the
prompt area by default?  For example, to disable moving point into
the prompt with C-b, but allow C-a at the beginning of the input
area to move point to the beginning of the prompt.  This is like C-a
(`message-beginning-of-line') works on message header fields.

Could be an idea, sounds consistent and not to surprising perhaps. But it seems easier to change the default for "Inviolable".

Instead of changing the default, please try to find a solution that
will please as much the beginners as the seasoned Emacs users.
Well, I am trying, it is not very easy all the time ;-)

Combining what we have said so far I think this could be reasonable and useful:

1) Change the default (sorry ;-)
2) Let C-a move first to the beginning of the input area
3) Let more C-a move between beginning of the prompt and input area (toggle so to say)

For this to actually work I guess 3 also would toggle Inviolable temporary.

Does this way seems reasonable to you?

BTW the message "Text is readonly" is also confusing when "Inviolable" is set. You expect the prompt to be readonly and the message is disturbing when you delete character by character and then suddenly this text appears over the prompt. The first time you see this you may think that something is very wrong, at least that is what I did.

What do you expect in this situation?  Trying to delete a character at
bob prints the message "Beginning of buffer".  Perhaps it should print
something like "Beginning of prompt input area" in the minibuffer.
I would expect no message at all in this situation. In my opinion that would be better. Alternatively perhaps "You are at the beginning of the input area - to move into the prompt area use C-a".