Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:10:07 -0500 (CDT)

Drew Adams wrote:

   I think I'm missing something here, and I'd like to learn. What minibuffer
   text are you referring to copying - something from the prompt? Can you give
   an example?

I am referring to copying the prompt.  This is routinely necessary
when describing bugs or misfeatures involving the minibuffer.

   One possible compromise, assuming there is a useful use case for copying
   prompt text, would be to permit copying it with the mouse, but still inhibit
   moving the cursor into the prompt by command or keyboard. Would that be good
   enough?

That would force one to use the mouse and assumes that one has a mouse
available.

   I note too that, by design, commands like `C-a' do not move into the prompt.

That is because of field properties.  To see this, do C-x C-f, move into the
prompt (sorry) and to C-u x =

Sincerely,

Luc.