Re: Updating autoloads

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Updating autoloads
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:03:43 -0500 (CDT)

>From my earlier message:

   On my machine updating autoloads takes only a fraction of a second.

I believe I forgot to notice that:

$ make autoloads EMACS=../src/emacs

apparently only updates autoloads for those Lisp files that have
changed since the last update.  Since my CVS was up to date that meant
no files, so obviously it was completely instantaneous.  (I personally
always use `make maintainer-clean' and `make-bootstrap' when I update
my CVS, so I have not a lot of experience with running `make autoloads'
manually.)

Still, if one updates regularly, it should rarely take a lot of time,
because not that many Lisp files will have changed, and if there were
a lot of Lisp changes, then it is extremely likely that some autoload
will have been added or the value of some autoloaded variable will have
changed, so that updating autoloads will probably be necessary.

Sincerely,

Luc.