Re: display-time-mode in menu bar.

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: display-time-mode in menu bar.
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:03:03 +0300

> I believe that the menu item text and the help echo for the item on
> the Show/Hide menubar menu that toggles Display Time mode is wrong.
> The current text says: "Date, Time and Mail".  However, do
> `emacs -q' and then enable the item using the menubar.  No date is shown,
> but if your load average is big enough, it will display the load
> average.  Enabling `display-time-mode' will, as the docstring of the
> function says, show the date in the modeline if and only if
> `display-time-day-and-date' is non-nil.  But the default value of
> that option is nil, so the menubar docs should not assume that it is
> non-nil.

Perhaps what is wrong here is the conjunction `and'.  It implies that
all these things are displayed simultaneously what is rarely true.
Better would be to list all possible things, that can be displayed
in the modeline, with the conjunction `or'.

> What about the patch below, which I can install if desired.
>
>   (define-key menu-bar-showhide-menu [showhide-date-time]
>     (menu-bar-make-mm-toggle display-time-mode
> !                        "Time, Load Averages and Mail"

This menu item is too wide.

A more shorter and still understandable menu item is:

                           "Time, Load and Mail"

or with `or':

                           "Time, Date, Load or Mail"

--