Re: Scroll bar size marker on w32

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Scroll bar size marker on w32
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:59:16 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> I just noticed that the scroll bar size marker (the thing that moves
> on the scroll bar) changes it size as you scroll a buffer in Emacs on
> w32. I have not seen this in any other program on w32 and it seems to
> me to be against the expected behaviour.
>
> Is this something that is w32 specific?

No.

> To notice the the effect make the window a little bit smaller than the
> buffer and move to the top and bottom.

Scroll bar start and end correspond to byte offsets in the file, and
bytes/line is not a constant but content-dependent.

If we take the Athena scrollbar semantics, this means that mouse-1 and
mouse-3 operate by screen-lines, while mouse-2 operates by byte
offset.

This is not a w32-specific problem.