Re: FOR-RELEASE.W32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: FOR-RELEASE.W32
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:03:51 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

As Richard has said that Emacs-on-Windows problems shouldn't delay
the release, Lennart and I have been thinking of adding a file
(tentatively named admin/FOR-RELEASE.W32) listing things that would
be nice to have before releasing a binary tarball for Windows.

Personally, I think really bad problems on Windows should at least
delay the release of a Windows binary: Emacs is one of the most
important migration applications to GNU systems: once a Windows user
uses Emacs for his editing tasks (and utf-8 is increasing our chances
here), he'll be likely to install the GNU utilities (MSYS or Cygwin)
so that many of Emacs' external commands will work.  And then the step
to going GNU all the way is rather small.
I really agree to this.

In my opinion, a good Windows Emacs is useful for getting people to
use GNU.  That does not mean that Windows problems should delay
releasing 22.1 for Unix-type systems, but I would tend not to release
Windows binaries that are deficient.  Even if that means that such
binaries will only appear with 22.2 or so.

I do not believe that minor problems in w32 or any other port should delay the main release. However we do have one major problem (emacsclient/server not working) and I think that is so serious that it should be fixed before release. Otherwise I think we get a bad impression on w32 and that does not help us reach our goals.

I would also suggest handling minor platform specific problems with platform specific "subreleases". On such case is the lacking documentation for w32 specifics.

I see no reason to handle binaries on w32 different than the source code there. Maybe you mean that we just should not make any w32 release until major problems are fixed there?