Re: FOR-RELEASE.W32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: FOR-RELEASE.W32
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:02:12 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

As Richard has said that Emacs-on-Windows problems shouldn't delay
the release, Lennart and I have been thinking of adding a file
(tentatively named admin/FOR-RELEASE.W32) listing things that would
be nice to have before releasing a binary tarball for Windows.

Personally, I think really bad problems on Windows should at least
delay the release of a Windows binary:

None of these problems make Emacs unusable. The JPEG problem can be avoided by compiling with a Free compiler (which we do anyway for binary releases). The high CPU usage for server sockets can be avoided by not using server sockets. Perhaps that means we continue to recommend gnuserv to Windows users in 22.1, but it should not mean that we withhold Emacs binaries for a much awaited version with many improvements over 21.x.