Re: problem with recent change to grep-regexp-alist

From: Emanuele Giaquinta
Subject: Re: problem with recent change to grep-regexp-alist
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 00:56:57 +0200

>>> But Linux has file names like
>>>
>>> /proc/driver/uhci/0000:00:07.2
>>
>> For those files the matching will be fine.
>
> It can't be fine, because the grep output is ambiguous.

Yes, I've misread the filename (seen only a colon); this is the first
case I mentioned, when the filename includes the ":[0-9]+:" pattern.

> For example, for the grep output line:
>
> 1:2:3:4:text
>
> there are three different interpretations:
>
> file name `1:2:3', line number `4', source line `text'
> file name `1:2', line number `3', source line `4:text'
> file name `1', line number `2', source line `3:4:text'

But, using the non greedy '+?' quantifier, the interpretation will
always be of the last type.

> One way to resolve them is to match markup escape sequences that new
> GNU grep puts around file names and line numbers.  You can see them in
> grep.txt under the title `GNU grep 2.5.1-cvs with default colors'.

I'm aware of them, are you waiting for the 2.5.2 release to add the
corresponding element to grep-regexp-alist?

--
Emanuele Giaquinta