Accelerator keys for menus

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Accelerator keys for menus
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 02:27:10 +0200

Are accelerator keys for menus available on GNU/Linux?

On w32 if you put a single & before a letter in the menu text the next letter will be underlined and it works as an accelerator. Then you only have to type that letter to choose that alternative once the menu is active. It is quite useful if you are a keyboard user and wants to acces the menus. I believe that it is also recommended in 508 for accessibility (but I am not quite sure). Nearly all w32 programs use this. It is easy to implement of course.

Is there anything like this on GNU/Linux that can be used for the menus?