Re: info.texi

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: info.texi
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 04:04:03 +0200

Juri Linkov wrote:

Do not forget that this is common documentation for the Emacs and the
standalone Info reader.  When using the standalone reader (or `emacs -nw'),
S-TAB will usually not work (actually, it will usually be equivalent
to plain TAB).  M-tab may not work either, because it still might get
"stolen" by the Window Manager.  So I would keep mentioning M-TAB as
the main key, but mention ESC-TAB and C-M-i as further alternatives in
addition to S-TAB.

I just noticed that neither M-TAB, ESC-TAB nor C-M-i moves the cursor
to the previous reference.  All these keys are bound to `complete-symbol'
in Info mode on X, xterm and console.  I wonder how users move the
cursor to the previous reference when S-TAB doesn't work, and M-TAB
is bound to the useless `complete-symbol' by default?

Hm. Wonder if non-standard keybindings just are too hard to remember? Maybe those users just thought they had forgotten which key it was?