Re: Is tooltip-mode STANDARD on or off?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Is tooltip-mode STANDARD on or off?
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:22:00 -0500 (CDT)

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   There are three variants:

   1) emacs --help
   2) Info
   3) how it actually behaves

I believe that the Emacs manual (which is probably what you mean by
"Info") describes the intended behavior, whereas `emacs --help'
slightly oversimplifies it, which might be deliberate since the
disabling of the startup screen can be considered a minor detail and
`emacs --help' needs to be reasonably concise.

I believe that the fact that Tooltip Mode is disabled after emacs -Q,
whereas it is enabled after emacs -q -D is due to an oversight when the
original emacs -Q got split into the new emacs -Q and emacs -D.  I
believe that the intended behavior is exactly opposite and that the
patch below, which implements the opposite behavior should be installed.
(I can do this if desired.)  Note that emacs-quick-startup is set by
-Q, whereas emacs-basic-display is set by -D.

===File ~/tooltip.el-diff===================================
*** tooltip.el  13 Jul 2005 19:24:28 -0500      1.63
--- tooltip.el  24 Jul 2005 18:30:52 -0500
***************
*** 159,165 ****
  With ARG, turn tooltip mode on if and only if ARG is positive."
    :global t
    :init-value (not (or noninteractive
!                      emacs-quick-startup
                       (not (display-graphic-p))
                       (not (fboundp 'x-show-tip))))
    :initialize 'custom-initialize-safe-default
--- 159,165 ----
  With ARG, turn tooltip mode on if and only if ARG is positive."
    :global t
    :init-value (not (or noninteractive
!                      emacs-basic-display