Re: Is there any way to have a string literal that is read "raw"

From: Markus Gritsch
Subject: Re: Is there any way to have a string literal that is read "raw"
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:02:07 +0200

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
Is it possible to tell Emacs not to interpret escape character in a certain string? If I have something like this:

       (setq str "some\thing\escaped")

Can this be changed without changing the literal so that Emacs takes exactly what is in the string, without escaping any characters?

I would not dream of changing something as fundamental as string
syntax for something as specific as filename handling, even if it were
meant to be used on the GNU system.  And since it is merely for the
sake of Windows, an unethical system that we aim to replace, the
motive is even further from sufficient.

Nothing important in the design of Emacs should be designed for the
sake of Windows, because that would be giving Windows influence it
should not have.

I think the intention of the question was not solely bound to support Windows path names, and steering the topic into the direction of how evil this OS is does certainly not lead to a solution.

As Sean pointed out, it would also be convenient in such cases like Regexps handling.

Python for example has beside of the normal string also a notation for a raw string:

  regex = r'^.*\n'

Kind regards,
Markus