Re: grep.el regexp

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: grep.el regexp
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 00:21:04 -0400

[I sent this message a few weeks ago but did not get a response.
Could we get the discussion moving again?]

    > I am not sure whether that relates to the suggestion I made:

    >> I think that if we wrote a separate regexp for each kind of grep,
    >> all together they would match a lot fewer different strings than the
    >> current regexp does, and they would be much easier to understand.

    Indeed, the two do not conflict.  I.e. I think there's no problem with
    compile.el's current behavior in this regard and I believe your suggestion
    w.r.t grep.el should work just fine.

Would someone like to try implementing this?
(Please respond to this message, if so.)