Re: Some error info from configure.bat please

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some error info from configure.bat please
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 08:19:26 +0200

> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:20:27 +0100
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden
>
> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Jason Rumney wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me that the emergence of the GnuWin32 project has helped
> > quite a bit.
>
> It is some time since I looked, so it might be worth trying to find a
> version that works that we can recommend to those who do not want to
> go through the effort of building makeinfo themselves.

I find the ports of the last two versions from GnuWin32 to be
generally okay.  The stand-alone Info reader is broken, since it uses
termcap, and the Windows shell window doesn't support any
termcap-style commands.  But other than that, all the other binaries
work quite well.

So I think we should indeed add such a recommendation to INSTALL.

But it would be nice not to need Texinfo if one is building the
release tarball.  I'll try to think of a way not to invoke makeinfo
unless really required.

Btw, there's one other related issue: why do we need to invoke
install-info when we install the built binaries?  THe file info/dir
that comes with the distribution (and is part of CVS) already has all
the entries in it, right?  If we could eliminate the need for running
install-info, it would be easier to avoid asking ``normal'' users to
have Texinfo installed.