Re: configure-more.zip

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: configure-more.zip
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:20:36 +0200

> Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:12:44 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> ><rant>
> >Why send it as a .zip file in a binary attachment, when all you want
> >to send is plain text for inclusion in configure.bat?
> ></rant>
> >

> Because sending a bat-file was not allowed.

??? By whom?

> >Therefore, I suggest the following strategy for solving the -kb issue:
> >put a small C program into the nt subdirectory which would read
> >nt/configure.bat, nt/nmake.defs, and nt/makefile.w32-in in binary mode
> >and make sure they have the right line endings; if they don't, this
> >program would fail.  Then have this program invoked by "make bootstrap"
> >in the nt directory.
> >
> >Would you like to implement this solution?
> >

> You mean build and run this program at the end of configure.bat?

Not at the end of configure.bat, but rather at the beginning of
"make bootstrap".  The point here is that running configure.bat does
not necessarily mean the user will be bootstrapping.  If she doesn't
bootstrap, there's no reason to bother her about issues that are only
relevant to bootstrapping.

> Would not "make bootstrap" be too late?

No, I don't think it is.  If the effect is that "make bootstrap"
refuses to continue if line endings are not right, we've reached our
goal, right?  This is similar to what lib-src/test-distrib.c does (for
every build, not just for bootstrap).

> Yes, it seems like a better solution.  I will try.

Thanks.